Monday, March 06, 2006

Missing the Forest for the Trees

I know I've complained about this before...but no one's listening so I can keep ranting.

Why hire a marketing person if you're going to undermine every recommendation they make?

The age old solution for non-marketers of, "Marketing is sending out letters, etc." is DEAD.

DEAD!

If you have nothing to say, no message, no opinion, nothing to offer...you are nothing! You won't get anywhere telling people what you can do because, if they can't do it themselves, someone can do it cheaper.

What's in it for them is more important than ever.

How do you convince company owners to subscribe to that school of thought and spend the marketing dollars that way?

2 Comments:

At 1:38 AM, Blogger Tim Whelan said...

Yea, it is a problem especially if you’re not mainstream in your concept and proposal development. What I have found is that if I package it into dollar and cents issues wrapped with good business logic they understand and buy.

Marketing to managers and owners is a mysterious and weird animal that they would rather not face when in reality it is really simple. You can thank the media blitz surrounding marketing for that.

The marketing companies and associations did this in order to control the marketing dollar and input. They did a great marketing job and now have a well established image in the minds of the people outside the marketing circles.

Think in terms of the company being your client. You have an idea that will work. Find the need that it solves and create a customer experience that allows them to establish a trust relationship with you and the idea in order to create the fulfillment of what you want to do and deliver the goods.

As a customer experience architect I have found that this works for my clients. Good luck and keep pounding. Eventually someone will listen.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Kevin Behringer said...

You said it.

I think I've gotten too comfortable as a member of this company. I need to think of myself more as a "consultant."

I need to sell my ideas to them before I can sell them to anyone else.

Thanks for your insight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home